Monday, February 13, 2012

Longhorns, TRANSFORM (Driving to El Paso)


The plan had been to be out of the apartment by 9:00 AM when the office opened. I could drop off the keys, then hit the road. What happened was I kept finding places in the kitchen that needed to be cleaned—little knick-knacks, here and there which had to get shoved in the truck or tossed out. Stuff you wouldn’t necessarily pack in a box, but still manages to show up, CDs, mail, ipod chargers, you know stuff like that. There was a stack of mail with tax paperwork and Christmas cards, including a gift card to Red Lobster from my Grandma. 

We broke down the bed, moved it over to the neighbors, printed out the directions for the drive just in case the iphone went down (amazing how much I rely on this thing now), called mom, and hopped in the truck to leave. 

It was 11:00 AM.

Plenty of people told me that the drive was “brutal” so when I hit the road I was ready. The hardest part was getting out of Austin and gassing up at Schell for the last time in a long time. Pulling out of the gas station, I tried to drown my sorrows in gas station coffee and a Mrs. Baid’s Honey Bun. I love me some honey  buns. Chewing mouthfuls of that sweet sweet honey bun, I started to wonder how long it would be before I would get another Mrs. Baird’s Honey Bun. How long it would be before I saw all my friends. Was I crying and chewing honey bun and doing 85 mph…I can’t say for sure. 

Luckily, there were a couple of surprises on my 500 mile drive to El Paso. In Johnson City (hometown of President Lyndon Baines Johnson), there’s a shiny chrome colored longhorn that easily could have made it into one of the Transformers movies. It kinda jumps out at you. Everything else out there is green fields, grazing pastures, horses, goat farms then—all of the sudden—a gigantic chrome evil ROBOTIC COW!

After that, the drive is long, but if you’ve got the audiobook biography of Che Guevarra, it’s not so bad. Sure, there are times when there’s nothing but white dust and dirt and large rocks. And sure, having a blow out here would very much suck, but it’s a great time to think ahead, to plan things to come as you watch the miles to El Paso on the green signs that melt away and just as you start to learn what Che was like as a teenager, you start to get an appreciation for the landscape…and audiobooks. At about 20 miles to El Paso, the sun started to drop down over the horizon and maybe it was the dust, maybe it was the rock, or maybe it was that I knew there was less than 20 miles to El Paso, but it was one of the most incredible sunsets. I started to pull over then realized (thanks to a truckers’ horn) the speed limit’s 85 mph and with all the tractor trailers in the right lane, that may not be the greatest idea.

My tailgate doesn’t have a lock on it and not wanting someone to snag my stuff, I asked friends for their advice. Some said just sleep in the truck. Some road warriors even told me that Wal-Mart parking lots aren’t a bad place to sleep when you’re on the road. No one will mess with you there. In the end, I managed to find a hotel that would keep a camera on my truck parked just outside of the 24 hr. front desk. Happy to know I wouldn’t have to sleep in a Wal-Mart parking lot, I headed to the one place everyone goes when there’s been a big win. Red Lobster.

Thanks Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment