Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Go All The Way

Charles Bukowski once said, "If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start."

He was a brilliant man.

He also drank a WHOLE LOT.

But there's always some wisdom to be taken from those that have lived longer and especially from those who have lived by their own rules. At a certain point, you have to either commit to what's important to you, or abandon it like a pit bull that doesn't get along with the newborn.

Just kidding. I love pit bulls.

In less than 30 days I will be leaving the city I've called home for over ten years, packing my drum kit into the back of my pickup truck, and heading out west to Los Angeles.
Moving to L.A. has always been something I'd planned to do...someday.

Someday.

Funny, how those "somedays" seem to fly right by and-before you know it-a year has passed. For me, the signs have been popping up more and more and it's time for me to go all the way. This journey out west isn't just about finishing a book, or the adventure of an extended road trip (though I'm looking forward to both), but more than anything else, it's about trying. It's about putting an end to talking about the things I'll do...someday.

This is the idea at the core of what I will be writing about over the next few months. To search for something better. To see if I've really got what it takes to make it.

Otherwise, I'll just continue to stare at a half-finished book and scribbles of story ideas to be developed, but-more than anything-I really don't want to end up drinking as much as Bukowski because I can't stop wondering, "What if...someday..."

2 comments:

  1. My "some day" got thrown out of the window of a gas guzzling car heading east on I-10 some Sunday following the 1st, 3rd ot 5th Friday of some month that could be just about any month and there is no way I can get it back on any day ever again. West is a better direction everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a journey. There were a lot of things along the way that I wanted to stop off and see, but then remembered how much stuff was in the back of the truck and didn't want it getting snagged so there'll have to be a future road trip.

      Delete